Tuesday, April 5, 2011

March Jamaica update

Plattner Family March 2011 Jamaica Update

The reason we flew back several weeks early from Jamaica was to participate in an informational meeting hosted by our sending organization, Apostolic Christian World Relief. The meeting involved presentations on the various areas of work the organization is supporting. While at the meeting, I was moved and inspired as I listened to the scope of the work being done by the body of Christ. In contrast, just the other day I was almost thrown into a depressive state as I considered the devastation of Japan and the chaos of Libya on top of so much other very real news that isn’t reported. I think it is safe to say that the headline news stories are simply “cherries on top” of a sundae made up of ongoing events such as food shortage, child trafficking, AIDS, water, etc. In light of the depressive state that this concoction can induce, the only prescription is hope in Christ. This hope we need is sometimes hard to translate into the joy that we know it’s supposed to produce. But, the inspiration I received at the informational meeting may just be the prescription I need. Because, on a very small scale, I witnessed a small part of a larger mosaic of work done in His name on behalf of one fraction of the world. In that fraction of the world, the hope of Christ is showing up through the hands and feet of the body of Christ. Prisoners in Central Illinois and Eastern Europe are hearing the gospel, orphans in Mexico are learning about Jesus, the Deaf of Jamaica being reached with the good news, and the poor of Haiti are getting glimpses of His riches. Now, in light of the chaos that sin wreaks in our world, if we were able to step back to the point of being able to view that mosaic and the movement of the body of Christ, I believe we would have the right prescription of hope that produces immediate joy. To God be the Glory and by His grace may we color in our little corner of the mosaic with the Good News of the Gospel.

Our part in the meeting went good with some good discussion following our presentation. Since then, we have been doing the “sabbatical shuffle.” This involves catching up with family and friends, moving every few days, and eating way too much food. The time has been blessed. We get the pleasure of time with our parents and the kids soak up time with grandparents. I wish we could get a perspective on what this time will feel like in hindsight, because I know it would be immensely helpful. But, I guess that is true in so many areas and so we try to make the most of it. We try to focus on relationships and how to make up for lost time in certain areas of life. It’s a chaotic blessing.

We soon plan to move to the area of our sending church in Indiana. The idea of settling for a short time is very welcome and we are excited for opportunities we will have in Indiana. Work for Kirk is coming together as he hopes to continue to work for Apostolic Christian World Relief through supporting their ministry. With prayer, we anxiously await the arrival of baby #4, which has yet to find a name. Being back in the states during the past couple of weeks has really created in us an excitement for baby #4. While we still don’t know how we will manage flying with 4 or living in our little apartment with 4, we are excited for the blessing that we know are given by God through children.

While we wish it weren’t true, there is no denying the feelings and reality of the discouragement that sets in when considering everything that is happening all around us on a global scale and even sometimes in our own hearts. But, when considering the hope of Christ, we find Joy. We are thankful for the time in the states, no matter how chaotic it makes our lives. Thank you so much for your ongoing support of us.

No comments: